The Ultimate Novelist Guide summarizes my personal research into novel writing. The topics below cover the gambit of what I am learning it takes to be a successful novelist. When considering the topic, it is important to maintain a “growth mindset”. That is, we should recognize that we have strengths and weaknesses, and do what we can to address their weaknesses.
[L]et’s go back to why you’re a writer in the first place: to express ideas and emotions that are important to you. To tell some truth about the human condition. You can do that in any genre, with any kind of concept. Rabkin, William. Writing the Pilot: Creating the Series (pp. 120-121). moon & sun & whiskey inc.. Kindle Edition.
Essential Writer Skills
- A mastermind group of entrepreneur-minded authors who help each other work through the chaos of life.
- Business Plan
- Key Partner: Accountant
- Key Partner: Lawyer
- Structure & Plot - create a flexible, non-formulaic structure that breeds uniqueness
- Character development
- Creative Integration - Snowflake Method serves this by integrating the plot and story
- Writing Process - developing the writing method that helps you write the strongest material
- Compelling Conflict - ensure each scene propels the drama by using the “Therefore-But” Paradigm
- Authentic Writing
Editing & Revision
The key to a great book is editing–grinding, buffing, and polishing–not writing.
- Rewriting - revise the draft in a way that actually improves it.
- Key Partner: Freelance Editor for macro editing, copyediting, and/or line editing.
- Key Partner: Freelance proofreader.
Production (should hire freelance…)
- Key Partner: Formatting (both electronic & paper)
- Key Partner: Cover artist for - book covers and other needs
- Key Partner: Audiobook narrator
- Key Partner: A web developer
- Key Partner: An agent (if going traditional)
Series Development. How to develop a serial drama in long-form fiction.
Scene Development. We explore the 8-Segment plot outline method, rather than the 3- or 4-Act method.
Story Design. We discuss an iterative process for developing both Plot and Story. This allows the author to determine the level of planning from a brief summary of a project to a detailed paragraph outline of each scene.
Plot structure. We explore the 8-Segment plot outline method, rather than the 3- or 4-Act method.
Character Development. This is a description
Writing Process. Project workflow describes an approach to developing a project from first idea through publication.
Business Plan. Stub for describing the Business Plan.
Eight Sequences. Eight Sequences
Story Mistakes. Most common problems with a story
Beta Readers. Stub for describing beta reader Process.