I started audible because I thought I would have a long enough commute to listen to a lot of audio books. This past spring, my commute got longer. This is reflected in the higher completion rate of last year. I listened to 234 hours this year, 165 of those from books purchased this year, and 68 from the previous year. I typically listen at about twice narration speed, so actual listening time is closer to 140 hours. Since narrators target 125 words per minute, I consumed about 1.8 million words.
Books Purchased in 2016
Below are the 27 titles I purchased in the past year through 30 November 2016, and a few from previous years that I worked on. The bolded titles are those that I completed. There are some I did not start or finish and are not counted regardless of how complete. There are a few I gave up on at some point, which are struck-through. There are other books that I returned and are not on this list.
- The Spirit of the Disciplines
- Red Team
- Team of Teams 12.1h. The short book apparently wasn’t enough.
- Art of Public Speaking 6.3h
- Pitch Anything 6.2h
- Leningrad 15h. On my 2017 reading plan
- Absolute Surrender 3.7h
- Wars of the Roses 15.1h, partially complete.
- Million Dollar Outlines 7.1h
- Multiply 8.9h
- How Great Science Fiction Works 12.5h
- Your First 1000 Copies 3h
- Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman 15.1h. To understand one man, you need to understand his friends. I have more respect for both Grant and Sherman now I’ve heard Sherman’s life.
- Enchantment 4.8h
- The First 90 Days 8h
- Good Strategy / Bad Strategy 11.8h.
- Cost of Discipleship 9h. I look forward to chatting with Dietrich one day, but he’s a tough listen.
- Little Black Book of Invention 6.1h
- Plato’s Republic 12.2h
- Holy Bible 72.9h. I had a high aspiration to listen to the entire Bible with rapidity. Unfortunately, Plato got the better of me.
- Sprint How to take an idea to prototype in a week to support an MVP
- Faith of Christopher Hitchens 6.1h. An interesting narrative told by a Christian about one of the Four Horsemen. For all of his failings, Hitchens despised hypocrisy most of all and would turn on an atheist hypocrite to defend a sincere Christian.
Seveneves I gave up on this as the author openly advocates eugenics. I listened to 22.1h.
- The Story of Medieval England 19.1h
- World of Byzantium 12.2h Fascinating opening to more study into East Europe and that the Ottomans believed they were the legitimate successors of Rome.
- Daring Greatly There’s a bit too much psychobabble in this, but the core of the story is to be comfortable operating outside your comfort zone and failing. That is where growth is.
- Digital to the Core
- Never Split the Difference 8.1h
Books Finished from Previous Years
- Red Team (11h)
- History’s Great Military Blunders (12h)
- Writing Great Fiction (12h)
- The Insurgents (15h)
- Threat Vector (18h)
2016 Goal Unmet
- Rise & Fall (41h remain)
- Space Magic (8h)
- God is the Gospel (6h)
- Institutes of Christian Religion (67h)
- Long March (9h)
Rise & Fall is a tough listen. I did start listening to Institutes and really liked what I was hearing. I gave up on Long March.
- Institutes of Christian Religion
- Holy Bible
- The Spirit of the Disciplines
- Divine Conspiracy (I listen to this annually)